Saturday, September 15, 2012

This week's episode of grammar blog

Hello again!

I've had so more traveling this weekend, except this time I went to Spokane. I had to go for a doctor's appointment, since my eye problem is so "unique" that I can't go to just any old eye doctor; BETWEEN YOU AND ME I think that's a load of bologna. I made up for having to go to the doctor's office by going to the Melting Pot, it's delicious and everyone must go at least once; however, it is extremely expensive.
              
          Back to grammar, this week we talked about prepositional phrases vs particles and also about pronouns. The thing that stuck out the most though is having Barbara describe to me when and when not to use "who" and "whom". No one has ever told me how to use those words, they would just correct me when I used it wrong without giving me an explanation. I finally know how to use them now, it may take some time to become subconsciously correct in my oral speech but I'll get there eventually if I persevere.
            
          It was really helpful to finally give a meaning to word prepositional phrase. We kept discussing them in class before and I knew that some people in the class were confused about them, including MYSELF. Having them finally described and being able to point them out in a newspaper was extremely helpful. It will take some time before I feel confident with them, but I will work hard to ensure that I will.
           
          We also talked about different sentence types, such as SV and SVO. I don’t feel like I grasp the idea of them fully though. I would like to see us spend some more time on them in class, or maybe just explain them again. I felt so close to understanding, but I wasn’t quite there.

1 comment:

  1. yes, we'll be working with the 3 sentence patterns more this week and next.
    Can you use WHO and WHOM in sentences now? Would love to see you try 'em out.

    ReplyDelete