Sunday, September 23, 2012

Conjunction Junction

I finally got to stay in Pullman this weekend, ALTHOUGH my husband had to go back to the Tri-Cities to help his father take down the balcony at his house. I would have been lonely, BUT I had two adorable kitties to play with! Did I ever introduce them to my blog? I don't believe so. Their names are Sherlock and Mori, FOR Moriarty of course. They are only 5 and 6 months old, YET they are going up so fast!

Back to business! Last week we went over S-V-O sentences, which I was really thankful for. I believe I have learned them, SO let me try and rehearse my knowledge. An S-V-O sentence has a subject, a transitive verb, and an object. The verb is transitive because it must take the following object, which will usually be a noun. The other kind of sentences are S-Vi, OR Subject and intransitive verb sentences. The intransitive verb is usually followed by a prepositional phrase or possibly an adverb. For example, "I graduated after my senior year of high school." The word "graduated" would be the intransitive verb, WHILE "after my senior year of high school" would be the prepositional phrase. The last sentence structure that we went over last week was the S-LV-SC. This sentence has a verb that is linking the subject to the subject compliment, which the subject case is usually an adjective or a noun. For example, "The teacher is a queen." The word "teacher" is the subject, the word "is" is the linking verb, and "queen" is the subject compliment. I believe I got all of that down now; I'm so glad we went over it again.

One thing that might be interesting to hear is that I was never taught the acronym FANBOYS, NOR was my husband. I had heard about it from other people who had learned it, AND they said it worked really well for them; however, I have never had a teacher teach it to me. I am sure that I understand conjunctions really well, BECAUSE let's face it I was a conjunction junction girl in my prime.

2 comments:

  1. I can see where you are coming from with our discussion of the use of AAAWWUBBIS in your blog posting. I agree that going over material we have covered previously is helpful. This, in my opinion, is most helpful mainly because we only meet twice a week. There are only a few wrong words in this entry. For example, your cats are GROWING up so fast, rather than GOING. I am not a hundred percent sure about your use of FOR. To me you could have simply said, "Their names are Sherlock and Mori (short for Moriarty)." But other than that I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the FOR in this sentence--
    Their names are Sherlock and Mori, FOR Moriarty of course.--
    is actually a preposition.

    And just one other quibble:
    I am sure that I understand conjunctions really well, BECAUSE let's face it I was a conjunction junction girl in my prime.== no comma before BECAUSE when it follows the main clause. And I'd put --LET"S FACE IT--in dashes, as an interruptor.

    I love what you did with this sentence:
    I was never taught the acronym FANBOYS, NOR was my husband.
    That second clause is inverted, the subject HUSBAND coming after the verb WAS. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete